CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy 100th Birthday Grams!

I am thinking of my great grandma today. She passed away last year, just shy of her 99th birthday. She would have been 100 today! We all thought she was going to make it too. She is one of my heros and is one of the most amazing people i have ever met. I am so lucky that I got to spend the first 30 years of my life with her in my life and that my kids got to meet her too. She faced many challenges throughout her life and endured til the end. She was always positive and upbeat and was as sharp as a tack, til she passed away. She lived by herself in her little white house from when my great grandpa died when i was little til about 6 months before she passed away. She was always busy doing something. She had a garden that she maintained by herself til a little bit before she died. She loved to read and made a daily habit of reading her scriptures, while she pedaled her little stationary bike. She was an awesome seamstress and made so many blankets, quilts, dolls, you name it that we couldn't even try to count. When we were little she would usually make all of the grandkids something. A doll, or doll clothes, doll blankets. She was the one who made my "blankee" that I slept with til I got married and by then it was in tatters from the use, abuse and washing throughout the years. I still have it and even though it looks like a rag to most people, it is one of my prized possessions. Grams made the most delicious cookies in the world. Everytime we would go to her house, she would have some dough in the freezer and would cook up a batch of cookies. She gave the "recipe" to lots of people, but no one could ever make them as good as grams. As she was busy cooking or cleaning up or doing whatever, she would always be humming or singing a tune to herself. I miss her so much and wish she could be here with us as we celebrate this great milestone today, but I know she is happy where she is at and with her loved ones that she had to live without for so many years here in this life. Love you grams!!!

1 comments:

Jones said...

Great post Nic! I love reading and remembering all the things about Grams!